The CHC research group owes its formation in 2005 to an initiative of Prof. Dr. Volker Höck, Univ. Prof. Univ. Dr. Wolfgang Wohlmayr, Univ. Ass. Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Vetters (all: University of Salzburg) und Univ. Doz. Dr. Ortolf Harl (former director of Wiener Stadtarchäologie and initiator of Ubi Erat Lupa). Coordination of operative activities and project development: Mag. Kurt Schaller (archaeology) und Dr. Christian Uhlir (geology). Since 2007 mineralogist Dr. Michael Unterwurzacher is part of the group and is running a number of archaeometric projects.
In 2010 Christian Uhlir was appointed administrative coordinator of the working group.
The CHC unit is located at the Department of Geography & Geology, Faculty of Natural Sciences (NAWI), University of Salzburg. Show plan
Currently CHC is exclusively financed by 3rd party project funding. On medium terms a stand alone base funding is aspired. It will provide sustainable operation and actualisation of the produced web ressources as well as the execution of tasks without an own financial framework (e.g. schools projects) or the operation of a platform for trans-disciplinary information and interchange.
- Seed funding, granted by the principal of the University of Salzburg, Univ-Prof. Dr. Heinrich Schmidinger (Autumn 2005)
- Project funding by the European Union / initiation of and participation in European projects (e.g. HISTORIC QUARRIES / FRONTIERS OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE)
- National scientific project funding (e.g. FWF project FACEM)
- Private project funding (OMYA)
- Creation of Information Systems for public/scientific institutions (e.g. AIS-OOE / MAIN LIMES MUSEUMS)